Fall is an amazing season, especially when you have kids! There’s tons of fall activities to do with your kids especially because the weather is still nice enough that you guys can enjoy going outside.
Fall has always given me such a nostalgic feeling. Smelling the crisp air, the bonfires, watching the leaves change, Halloween, jumping in leaves and more!
It may also be because I know a loooong winter is coming, that I make sure we spend lots of time outside before we (mostly) begin hibernating, (this mama does not dig the freezing Midwest winters!!).
I have a big list of fall activities that we love to do every year. These activities are a great way for you and your kids to create tons of memories, and build or continue traditions.
This list is especially great if you have kids that are different ages because there’s stuff that everyone will love. I have a toddler and preschooler and I’ve done a lot of these activities since they were very little and they still get excited to do them!
Awesome Fall Activities For Kids
1) Hayrides- These are fun because you can ride through pumpkin patches, corn mazes, apple orchards, or go on Halloween hayrides. My kids love ‘em!
2) Go pumpkin picking
3) Go apple picking
4) Carve pumpkins
5) Play with the pumpkin guts- After you carve the pumpkins, your kids can play with the pumpkin guts. It’s a great sensory activity!
6) Bake pumpkin seeds
7) Make apple pie
8) Rake leaves and jump in leaf piles
9) Make and drink hot chocolate
10) Fall scavenger hunt- Go around your neighborhood or in a forest preserve and take your kids on a fall themed scavenger hunt.
11) Make s’mores- Gooey marshmallows, melted chocolate, and graham crackers?? Yes please! [My kids love ‘em too ;)]
12) Go to local fall festivals- We go every year to the local fall festivals where we live. My kids love them because they’re basically like mini carnivals, (at least where we live). There’s delicious food, rides, apple or pumpkin picking, and so much more.
13) Check out fall themed books for kids at the library
14) Go trick or treating
15) Walk around the neighborhood and look at the Halloween decorations
16) Go on a nature hike and play I spy- My daughter is obsessed with “I spy” right now so this is an activity we will do for sure! Again, you can walk around your neighborhood or take it to a forest preserve and see how many things you can “spy”.
17) Look for and collect different color leaves
18) Make leaf rubbings- Put paper over a leaf and color it with a crayon
19) Paint pumpkins- Great for kids who are too little to carve
20) Paint pine cones and set them around the house as fall decoration
21) Go to a bonfire and tell stories
23) See if you can get to the end of a corn maze
24) Make a sensory bin with fall scented cloud dough- You can use pumpkin spice, apple pie spice, cinnamon spice, clove spice, nutmeg, or any other fall scent you like.
25) Make a sensory bin with corn kernels
26) Make a scarecrow- You can use newspaper as stuffing!
27) Make an apple stamp- Cut open an apple and dip it in paint and let your toddler make apple art!
28) Watch kid-friendly Halloween movies together
Autumn is a wonderful season because your kids can see so many changes happening in nature right before their eyes!
It’s great for sensory activities, learning about the season, halloween activities, and building memories. (You can grab a full years worth of activities for kids here!)
These fall activities for kids are things we do every year and I’m sure you’ll enjoy them with your little ones too!
10 Engaging Activities For Toddlers
10 Crafts and Toys That Support Diversity