I’m sure I don’t have to tell you there’s a lot of struggle and hardships when you are a single parent. And those stresses and struggles can often overlook the positives of being a single parent. Yes, there are actually positives! You often have to make it out of that grieving/mourning period when your relationship first ends.
Related post: How to Cope With Separation As a Mom
But once you are able to move past that, there are…
8 Reasons why being a single mom is awesome!
1. You get to set the schedule/routine. So if one day you feel like having breakfast for dinner or eating your meal while watching a movie or having a slumber party with your kids, so be it! You don’t have to consult with a partner to see if they are ok with the kids sleeping in your room. You don’t have to make meals at a certain time for anyone else. If you decide to take a spur of the moment road trip, that’s your decision! It can be pretty awesome to have full control of what you guys do!
2. You get ALL the love and good moments. Every single time your kid does something for the first time you can be proud that you helped teach them that. Or when someone compliments your kid on being polite or kind, you know that you taught them how to be like that. If they are fierce and sassy, you know they won’t take crap from anyone and they got that from you! All the hugs, kisses, laughs, and I love you’s are yours and yours alone.
3. You have a super tight bond with your kids. Really, it’s indescribable. There is something to be said about growing up with primarily just one parent. You end up being very close because they depend on you for every emotional and physical need and they trust you with everything. And you can’t imagine not having your nuggets around 24/7! You get to the point where it isn’t a nuisance having them around all the time, it’s just life. You accept that everywhere you go you’ll have your kids with you and it’s not a burden.
They are your rock too. Your kids may help lift your spirits even when you don’t realize it! After my relationship ended, my kids helped pull me out of that dark place with their laughter, silliness, and love. Of course they didn’t know they did that for me, but it made us even closer.
4. Your kids are more independent. Because you have so much on your plate, your kids learn quickly how to do things for themselves and what’s expected of them. My kids helped with chores pretty early on and my oldest has learned to be self sufficient as well.
That’s not to say kids with both parents in the house aren’t independent, but when you only have one parent and that parent is busy, you learn to get good at waiting, or figure out how to do it yourself! This is a major plus because anything your kids can do for themselves is one less thing you have to do!
5. No drama with your spouse. As you go through life, you’ll likely hear your friends who are married eventually complain about their husbands. Maybe they fight too much, the husband isn’t responsible, or they don’t agree on parenting. You don’t have to deal with any of that!
Prior to your breakup you and your ex probably fought or argued. There may have been resentment, you guys may have ignored each other, or there was some other negativity happening. I mean come on, they’re your ex for a reason! But now your home won’t ever have that drama or negativity, which feels so good!
6. You get to be the shining example that women can do absolutely anything. You are showing your kids how to take care of a home, raise children and work hard all on your own. You are an amazing role model to your kids.
7. You get to parent exactly how you want to! So many couples argue over how to parent, or they feel resentful about how the other person is parenting. You get to avoid all of that because you can do exactly what you feel is best without asking anyone! This is one of my favorite reasons being a single mom is awesome, because I’m kind of a control freak. So to be able to parent exactly how I want is awesome!
8. You become more motivated. There’s a fire that’s been lit under you. Your hungry to provide the best life you can for you and your babies. There’s almost a primal urge to do everything in your power to succeed. You become laser focused on your goals and priorities and you will make it happen.
You want a new job, you’ll figure out how to get it.
You want to start a career at home? You’ll do the research and figure out how to make it happen.
You want to save more money? You’ll make the sacrifices to do so.
Because there is no one more determined than you.
Single motherhood is one of the hardest things you can do. But it also has really positive aspects too. Don’t let the stress and hardship overshadow the amazing reasons why being a single mom is awesome. Instead relish those moments and embrace the wonderful parts of your life!
What are some of your favorite reasons being a single mom is awesome??
One Last Thing!
This is the 6th month in a 7 month series that will feature other single mom bloggers to provide a single mom resource!! Each month we will discuss a different aspect of single mom life.
Check out this page to read about other aspects of single parent homes! Single Mom Resource 101
Other Posts In The Series